Minutes from PUN Organizing Meeting 6/15/2020
PUN Organizing Meeting
June 15, 2020
8-9:15pm Eastern Time
Present: Jim, Katherine, Jordan, Alex, Kai
Repeat Mission Statement: PUN is a digital community that helps young people pursue self-directed learning by providing resources, events and friendships.
1) After-effects of switching to Discord
– what to do with old Chat data and servers ($10/mo and $30/mo respectively)? Set an August 1 deadline to get your data and then it will be deleted.
– allow content to be posted without a username/password
– get rid of the forum
– get rid of the friend finder
– add a regular email list form to the PUN website
2) Introducing the a.utono.me offering system / Calendar
– Alex Khost developed this platform which will be integrated with PUN through an iFrame and with OAuth logins. We can list events and offerings on there.
2) Forming a PUN board of directors
– all young people on a board, plus the legally required number of adults as per the bylaws of the state. However, all decision-making and voting power will be granted to the youth board.
– maximum age limit of 18 for board members
– we will put out applications to join the board. New members must be voted on approval by existing members, at least 80% approval for new members
– Application Questions: tell us your philosophy on education, what is group culture you want to foster, age, your educational background,
– in the future, we will look to create a board of advisors who have no power, but give advice/help
3) Updates on events:
- Create+Connect – Jim+Bria are collaborating. Just finished matching all the teens with mentors
- Book Club – Katherine needs help promoting (AERO and ASDE event lists)
- Open Mic – no further interest at the moment
- Q&A Sessions – Jordan is working on contacting grown unschoolers
- Debate Club – Kai is going to make a graphic for us to pass around and promote
4) Event Promotion Strategies
Discussed new places to promote events:
-AERO’s email list to announce events,
-Blake Boles monthly email,
-HSLDA has a mailing list,
-more ‘homeschooling’ labelled groups.
-ASDE event list
5) Consolidating other unschooling/SDE groups on Discord (and elsewhere?)
Decided: No – the variety is good. These groups all serve a purpose. Let’s grow ours without consolidating other groups.
6) Feedback for Jim on facilitation and leadership
So far so good
7) Schedule next meeting
Next Organizing Meeting: July 13, 8:00-9:30pm Eastern Time in the #Organizing channel on our Discord chat server.